Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Autism is NOT dangerous!

My Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) of high-functioning autism or Asperger's (choose the word) and co-morbid disorders present with very devastating challenges due to faulty ("different") wiring, but my mind is NOT dangerous. I have emotions, but I cannot express myself well verbally due to mild to profound anxiety, speech problems (stuttering and others), and expressive language delay. My expressive language delay is associated with my ASD diagnosis.

I do NOT partake in dangerous and unethical activities. I do NOT murder. I do NOT steal. I do NOT cheat on people or tests. I am NOT aggressive. I have been EXTREMELY close to self-injury, but thanks to enough SELF CONTROL - I did NOT.

Because of my ASD, NOT "natural variation", I may or may not be able to drive. I have learned how to use public transportation. I am very safety aware. I look left and right before crossing the street. I do not do drugs or smoke.

Due to my ASD, I have unintentionally offended people. I have improved in social skills.

How is my mind unsafe? I have lots of devastating challenges and delays, but I will be a person with high-functioning autism (even AFTER treatment and with coping strategies, education, tools, etc.).


FACTS:

1. I high-functioning autism (also known as Asperger's).

2. Autism is NOT a "natural variation", culture, or lifestyle."

3. Autistic disabilities are a life-long condition, thus Autism is a WAY (part) of LIFE.

4. ASD is an epidemic. ASD is a medical disorder. Autism, which includes Asperger's, PDD-NOS, and Autistic Disorder are neurological, biological disorders that  cause children and adults to have medical problems.

5. Children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders need treatment, support, accommodations, services, and someday, possibly a cure (for those who desire one).

No comments:

Post a Comment